— ART HISTORY & IMAGE STUDIES —
ARTH 341 SCHEDULE
Christopher L. C. E. Witcombe
Meeting Place and Time
- Pannell 202: Wednesdays 1:30-4:00
- Michael Baxandall, Painting and Experience in Fifteenth-Century Italy, 2nd edition (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988).
- Giorgio Vasari, Lives of the Artists (translation by Julia Conaway Bondanella and Peter Bondanella) (Oxford World's Classics, 2008).
- Leon Battista Alberti, On Painting, translated by Cecil Grayson with an introduction and notes by Martin Kemp (London: Penguin Books, 1991). Purchase a copy on Amazon
- The material on this website
- Active class participation, which includes being prepared for each class, and taking part in discussion.
- FIVE SHORT REPORTS on topics shown in the Schedule. To be handed in after all five reports have been presented. Each of the five artists will include references to each of the five topics (Antiquity, Nature, Proportion, Talent, Business).
- TWO FULL REPORTS on sections of the readings shown in the Schedule.
- Short Reports (x 5) = 50%
- Each Full Report = 20%
- Class participation = 10%
Office and Hours
- Pannell 203: Tuesdays 2:15-3:00 and by appointment
- phone: 6194
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attendance at every seminar meeting is expected. If you expect to be absent for whatever reason, notify me ahead of time.
- Each absence without prior notification will result in a lowering of your final grade
- Chronic absence will be noted and reported