Survey of Art’s History
Part 1: Prehistoric times to the Late Middle Ages
ARTH 115 FALL 2017 SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS
- Instructor: Christopher L.C.E. Witcombe
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Pannell 203
- Office Hour: Tuesdays 2:15-3:00 p.m. or by appointment
THE COURSE & REQUIREMENTS
A historical and analytical introduction to the history of art covering the period from prehistory to ca. 1350 CE, that considers representative objects and monuments in their context and proposes ways of understanding visual evidence.
The course introduces you to the study of art and its history. You will learn about basic identification information, how to conduct various types of visual analysis, and how to recognize and distinguish different styles in the various types of art produced in different periods by different visual cultures in Prehistoric times, the Ancient World, and the Middle Ages.
Meeting Place and Time
- Pannell 202: Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00-10:15
Christopher L.C.E. Witcombe
Survey of Art's History
- Active class participation, which includes being prepared for each class, and taking part in discussion.
- Read all the assignments before class meets, as indicated on the schedule
- Attend all class meetings
- Takes notes in class and make notes while reading the textbook
- Three non-cumulative tests. Tests can include identifications, essays, unknowns, details, name-that-part vocabulary questions, and terms (in the form of multiple-choice questions).
- First Test = 30%
- Second Test = 30%
- Third Test = 30%
- Participation = 10%
- Please initial the sign-in sheet at the beginning of each class
- Attendance at every class is expected. If you expect to be absent for whatever reason, notify me ahead of time.
- Each absence without prior notification will result in a lowering of your final grade.
- Chronic absence will be noted and reported.